Sibelius Goes Hard

"All of the doctors who told me to stop drinking and smoking have long since died." - Jean Sibelius at the age of 91.



Heyo, today we discuss briefly the life, times, and music of Jean Sibelius (1865-1957) musical genius and Finnish national hero.  In fact, the composer is such a point of pride in Finland that his face is on the 100-mark bill, and Finnish flag day is on his birthday.  His most famous piece Finlandia (above) is a brilliant tribute to his beloved homeland.  Yes, he was a reckless alcoholic, and yes he spent the last 30 years of his life in a wild manic-depressive state, unable to compose (arguably insane).

He enjoyed nature walks and the horn part in the last movement of his fifth symphony is based on swan calls which he heard on one of his walks.  If you love good music with a little edge and character I would suggest all of his symphonies and violin concertos.

Fun fact, the Finnish government spends 200 times what the US does (per capita) on the arts.

3 comments:

  1. Love your posts, Pete! The basic tune to Finlandia was turned into a Presbyterian hymn, "Be Still My Soul," which was my minister father-in-law's favorite hymn. He would blast the orchestral version often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sibelius Violin Concerto is on my top ten list of all classical music. I had a vinyl DG recording by Pinchas Zuckerman when I was in college and I would listen to it over and over again. Oh - and the weather and circadian light patterns in Finland are enough to drive anyone insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - yes it's gorgeous. I'm not sure if I'll ever find a good excuse to make it to Finland. Cate - maybe that explains why you love singing.

    ReplyDelete